Tumblelog by Soup.io
Newer posts are loading.
You are at the newest post.
Click here to check if anything new just came in.
boothll33141

House Fire in Lichfield

A family of five had an extremely lucky escape following a fire that happened at their home over the Bank Holiday weekend.

"The family had a very lucky escape due to the smoke alarm alerting them to the fire.This fire was caused due to a cigarette which hadn't been fully put out. We urge people to dispose of cigarettes safely and to make sure they are fully extinguished."

Fire Investigation Officer Ian Read

Fire and rescue crews from Lichfield attended the incident on Stephens Walk in Lichfield on Sunday night.

The call was received at 11.34pm reporting the incident which involved a shed that was well alight.

The shed was situated up against a house, consequently the fire quickly spread to the kitchen window and inside the property.

The occupants were asleep in the house when the fire started. A smoke alarm which activated alerted them to the fire.

They managed to get out of the property to safety and were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

Firefighters arrived to find neighbours tackling the fire with buckets of water and a hose pipe.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using one hose reel jet.

Fire Investigation Officer Ian Read said "The family had a very lucky escape due to the smoke alarm alerting them to the fire.

The design of a fire door has an intumescent strip along the sides and top of the door or door frame. This seal is pretty much hidden during normal use, but expands with extreme heat eliminating the gap between the door and its frame thereby creating a barrier stopping fire and harmful fumes from entering the room. Click on the link for further information and some really low online prices on Buy Fire Doors UK.

"We strongly encourage people to make sure they have smoke alarms fitted in their homes and to test them weekly to ensure they work.

"This fire was caused due to a cigarette which hadn't been fully put out. We urge people to dispose of cigarettes safely and to make sure they are fully extinguished."

The fire caused smoke and heat damage throughout the property.

Firefighters left the incident at 1.40am.

http://www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/3412.asp

Don't be the product, buy the product!

Schweinderl